Diploma in Visual Communication (Graphic Design)
intakes: January, April, July, october
Acquire the skill to translate your creative ideas to manifest as graphic design works ready for a wide-scale brand launching!
Level - Fundamentals
Ideal for those looking for a full-fledged graphic design course to translate their passion into creative skills that can help them become a successful graphic designer in Singapore!
Identify a real and local company and propose a series of designs and promotional campaigns to promote the company’s product and brand image.
About the Programme
Make it simple, but signigicant!
Graphic Design is a medium of communicating information through an appropriate visual manner.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to create your own wide-spread series of design items and collaterals for a campaign launch. You will have the skill to manipulate various design elements using creative softwares learned.
Fundamentals of Design
Understand the key elements and principles of design
Creative Software Knowledge
Create graphics using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
Idea Generation Techniques
Build your concepts around a consistent ideation framework
What will you learn?
Explore new image and video trends. Learn how to identify the relationship between culture and image to come to understand the complex activities of constructing and interpreting culturally relevant images.
Identify and explain branding principles. You will also discuss and compare the success and pitfalls of brands by examining their respective brand messages.
Explore the interplay of art and type in producing a variety of outcomes. You will also experiment with art and type by manipulating or juxtaposing images and words to communicate messages effectively.
Develop a clear understanding of the role graphic media plays in producing a variety of graphic design outcomes.
Develop and understand the appreciation of social and cultural influences that affect design. You will also examine major events, trends, new technologies and globalisation that impact design.
Digital Graphic Design
Interpret your creative ideas digitally in two-dimensional form, with the help of graphic design software(s). You will also learn colour correction and manipulation to achieve better results.
Closely examine various media and materials to produce unique and eye-catching designs. You will also have to study the characteristics of various materials and media in order to select suitable ones to express ideas appropriately.
Mixed Media Drawing and Rendering
Learn colour theory and experiment with various media to communicate ideas and/or messages effectively.
Be exposed to the production processes involved in packaging design and appreciate the influence of culture and climate on materials. You will learn to construct and integrate a mock-up of a packaging design.
Principles of Layouts
Examine, critique, and create the effectiveness of layout principles in various types of graphic design and advertising works.
Publication Design and Production
Understand the various elements of publication design and be able to apply principles of design and layout in your publication assignment(s). You will also gain an understanding of the publishing business, as well as be exposed to the pre-press, offset printing and post-press processes.
Typography for Design
Explore the application of two-dimensional and three-dimensional type designs and the influence of colour on typography design.
You will be taught how to analyse a websites’ content and style, and identify elements of a good website design. You will also learn basic coding language and styles that will enable you to produce a simple, visually appealing and functional website.
SGD $12,095 (Inclusive of GST)
January, April, July, October
Full Time: 18 months, 5 days a week
Part Time: 18 months, 3 days a week
- Graphic Designer / Freelance Graphic Designer
- Art Director / Creative Director
- Web Designer / Packaging Designer
- Applicants will be enrolled directly into Advanced Diploma programmes if they meet the following criteria:
- Singaporean and Singapore PR applicants: 3 GCE ‘O’ Level subjects, NITEC or HNITEC certificate
- 18 years old and above
- Foreign applicants: Completed a Grade 10 taught in English or completion of Diploma not taught in English with minimum IELTS score of 5 or minimum TOEFL score of 55, or equivalent
- Applicants will be given conditional entry into Advanced Diploma programmes based on the following criteria:
- Submission of a design portfolio subjected to assessment by FMDS Academic Team AND
- Submission of resume and Letter(s) of Identity from employer(s) for matured candidates of minimum 25 years of age with a minimum of 2 years of working experience in a related field AND
- Completion of an FMDS Diploma with a minimum Credit grade
- Installment and financing plans available.
- Do reach out to our admissions team to find out more about financing your education!
- Course fees are subjected to 7% GST.
- First Media reserves the right to change, modify course fees without prior notice.