FMDS Specialist Diploma in Design Management
“Design is intelligence made visible.” – Alina Wheeler
This module teaches Students about the basics of branding and the role of branding in marketing. Students will also learn about brand strategy which includes Brand Image, Brand Identity, Brand Awareness, Customer Perception, Brand Loyalty and Brand Association. Students will also learn on how to execute branding through public relations campaigns. Students will learn to evaluate different types of techniques for measuring and managing brand value. Finally, Students will be taught the concept of brand value, which builds into brand equity.
- Draft a brand strategy that includes the brand identity design, aligned with the brand’s value proposition, brand personality and brand voice
- Execute branding through public relations campaigns
- Evaluate brand equity for an organisation
This module teaches Students how to use “conceptual thinking” as a perspective upon which to view their organisations. They will learn about using a variety of information and data in order to visualise concepts through models and frameworks. They will then apply conceptual thinking to design projects in order to have a more holistic understanding of the positioning of their organisations within the creative industries. Thinking conceptually would also allow them to package different empirical instances into different conceptual “boxes”. Applying conceptual thinking to their work processes allows them to predict the potential probabilities and impacts of threats and opportunities based on future trends.
- Utilise a combination of life skills and experiences, intuition and sensory qualities to create concepts
- Visualise concepts through models and frameworks to analyse current facts, events and issues in the creative industries
- Apply conceptual thinking to design projects
This module teaches Students the basics of marketing. They will learn the differences between traditional and digital marketing. They will also learn how to execute marketing campaigns.
- Explain the basics of marketing
- Describe traditional forms of marketing
- Describe digital forms of marketing
- Plan and execute marketing campaigns
This module teaches Students how to craft an overall strategic plan encompassing a management plan to execute business innovation products, metrics to measure the success of the business innovation projects, a business development plan to scale up successful business model innovation projects, a risk management plan and a plan to encourage team members to think in lateral ways.
- Determine the most feasible ideas for business innovation projects in the creative industries
- Craft a management plan to execute business innovation projects in the creative industries
- Develop metrics for measuring the success of business model innovation projects in the creative industries
- Craft a business development plan to scale up successful business model innovation projects in the creative industries
- Craft a risk management plan for business innovation projects in the creative industries
- Craft a plan to encourage team members to think “outside the box”
Specialist Diploma level
Applicants will be enrolled directly into Specialist Diploma programmes if they meet the following criteria:
- Singaporean and Singapore PR applicants: 3 GCE ‘N’ Level or 2 GCE ‘O’ Level subjects with minimum C6 grade for each subject, or equivalent
- 18 years old and above
- Foreign applicants: Completion of Grade 10 taught in English or completion of Grade 10 not taught in English with minimum IELTS score of 5 or minimum TOEFL score of 55, or equivalent
Applicants will be given conditional entry into Specialist Diploma programmes based on the following criteria:
- Submission of a design portfolio subjected to assessment by FMDS Academic Team AND
- Submission of resume and Letter(s) of Identity from employer(s) for matured candidates of minimum 25 years of age with a minimum of 2 years of working experience in a related field AND
- Completion of the FMDS Design Foundation programme with a minimum Credit grade
Full Time: 8 months, 5 days a week, 3 hrs a day
Part Time: 8 months, 3 days a week, 3 hrs a day
Design Studio Manager, Art Director, Editor, Project Executive / Manager, Business Development Manager, Account Manager, Production Manager, Associate Design Manager. Brand Manager.
Notes: Module information is tentative and will be subjected to changes as determined by First Media Design School at its discretion.
Specialist Diploma is conducted on both Day and Evening classes.
All information listed are indicative and subject to change as determined by First Media Design School at its discretion.
First Media Design School reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of the Course Information without prior notice. Information accurate as of 29 May 2019.